On my first visit to Japan I naively assumed I would encounter Godzilla paraphernalia everywhere. This misunderstanding can be traced to my complete ignorance of Japanese pop culture; not only did I not follow current trends in manga or anime, but I hadn’t even heard of such icons as Doraemon ドラえもん, Ultraman ウルトラマン, Anpanman アンパンマン, or Sazae-san サザエさん. Although I quickly stumbled upon the small Godzilla statue in Hibiya, it took me a few years to get around to putting this map and list together.
1. Godzilla statue ゴジラ像, Hibiya Chanter Square 「合歓の広場」 （ねむのひろば） (Nemu no Hiroba) (map)
There’s a small but satisfying Godzilla statue in Hibiya Chanter Square, just behind Hibiya Chanter Toho cinema, close to Yurakucho station:
2. Toho Studio 東宝株式会社 (map)
Along the Sengawa River, out near Seijogakuen-Mae Station 成城学園前駅, is Toho Studios 東宝株式会社, the studio that first brought us Godzilla (and still does). The studio entrance is decorated with a distinguished Seven Samurai mural and a fierce Godzilla statue:
On my visit in 2012 the museum’s cafe was home to a Godzilla statue / costume. Hopefully it’s still there.
4. Ushi Tora bar ビアバー うしとら (map)
There is/was a gold Godzilla (or Mecha-Godzilla メカゴジラ?) in the bathroom of the wonderful Ushi-Tora bar in Shimo-Kitazawa. (See: Best craft beer bars in Tokyo クラフトビール東京)
5. Stone Godzilla Statues ゴジラ上陸の地 ゴジラ像 (Godzilla landing site) (map)
In the old fishing village of Higashi-shinagawa is a Yakatabune restaurant named Shinagawa Yakatabune Mutsumimaru 品川 屋形船 むつみ丸. Guarding the establishment are two stone Godzilla statues. This is no random location; “in fact”, Godzilla first steps foot onto Tokyo’s shores at this location in some of the films. (It may only be the location for Shin Godzilla シン・ゴジラ).
6. SHINJUKU TOHO Building (Godzilla on rooftop) ゴジラ(巨大 実物大) (map)
There’s a “life-sized” Godzilla head on the roof of the new Toho cinema in Kabukicho, Shinjuku.
- Godzilla named tourism ambassador of his old stomping ground (The Japan Times)
- Godzilla appears in the Tokyo skyline atop new Shinjuku skyscraper! 【Photos】 (Rocket News 24)
7. Godzilla Slide くりはま花の国 (Kurihama Flower World) (map)
This isn’t in Tokyo, but it’s an easy day-trip, and is very cool: a Godzilla statue that doubles as a children’s slide. See: Tokyo Daytripper: Gojira-Koen (Godzilla Park)
8. Army command center from Shin Godzilla タバ作戦指揮所（映画「シン・ゴジラ」） (map)
No Godzilla statue, but the location from which the Japanese Self-Defense Force stages its attack on Godzilla in Shin Godzilla. Here’s a view from the location, looking towards Musashi-kosugi:
- Godzilla amusement center, Chiba
- CHASING GODZILLA IN TOKYO
- The fact that Godzilla was a man in a costume was officially a secret well into the 1960’s (Twitter)
- Aqua City, Odaiba’s Godzilla Christmas tree (Twitter)
- An Enormous Godzilla Made Of Straw Appears In Japan
- Godzilla attacking the Japanese Diet building (国会議事堂, Kokkai-gijidō) (photo)
- Godzilla in the Sumida River, in front of the historic Kachidoki Bridge (photo)
- Godzilla climbing Mt. Fuji (pursued by King Kong) (Twitter)
- Temporarr Godzilla statue in Roppongi: Tokyo’s Giant Godzilla Statue Looks Amazing in the Rain
- Run for your lives: Godzilla hits Tokyo museum: The king of rubber monsters stars in a new show designed to remind us all who’s boss (CNN)
- “TOKUSATSU” – SPECIAL EFFECTS EXHIBIT AT MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, TOKYO
- Ultraman statue (photo)